What is a Telehealth appointment?
A telehealth appointment uses live video technology to connect patients with their outpatient providers who are in different locations. CSG pediatric specialists, surgeons, and urgent care providers use a video platform to achieve this connection.
How does a Telehealth appointment work?
After we determine that telehealth is a good fit for you and your child, and all parties agree to having visits remotely, a scheduled visit will be completed via telehealth. Participating in these visits will require use of a suitable device (computer, laptop, phone, or a tablet that has both audio and a camera). There may be circumstances that require returning to on-site visits. If this is the case for you, your child’s provider will discuss clinical reasons for returning to on-site visits.
How will I know that I have a Telehealth appointment?
For visits with CSG pediatric specialists, you will receive an email invitation the day before the appointment with a Zoom or WebEx link and password. If an email is not received, please contact the office. You may also receive a reminder call or text.
For CHKD Urgent Care visits, please call our Urgent Care telehealth hotline at (757) 668-4972 to see if your child’s injury or illness qualifies for an Urgent Care telehealth visit.
What tools and technology will I need for a Telehealth appointment?
Telehealth requires a working internet connection and the technology tools below.
- For a visit with a CSG pediatric specialist, you will need a computer, laptop, smart phone, or tablet.
- Only a smart phone is needed for an Urgent Care visit.
- Your device will need to have a camera, microphone, and speaker. Wireless or bluetooth earphones are optional to increase sound quality.
What system will I use for my Telehealth appointment?
CSG pediatric specialists use either Zoom or WebEx for your appointment. Please plan to sign on at least five minutes before your scheduled appointment time.
- For a Zoom session: Go to chkd.zoom.us and click Join. Enter your meeting ID and password.
- For a WebEx session: Go to chkd.webex.com and click Join. Enter your meeting ID and password.
- CHKD urgent care providers will send you a secure link at the time of your visit.
What kind of space do I need for my Telehealth appointment at home?
Once you have the tools, choose a space in your home for your session. This space must have a door that closes and that allows the patient to be free from interruptions (pets, TV, siblings).
How do I pay for the telehealth visit?
If our telehealth appointment is covered under your insurance, CSG will bill your insurance company. You may received a bill from CSG if your insurance plan requires a co-pay, coinsurance, or deductible. If our telehealth appointments are not covered under your insurance, our staff will discuss payment plan and payment discount options for non-covered services.
Should I complete a test using the technology before my Telehealth appointment?
Yes. Please ensure that your technology is working and devices are charged prior to your session start time so that we can make the most of our time together.
Telehealth technology checklist:
- Enable and test audio and video ahead of your appointment.
- Charge device.
- Charge earphones (if using).
- Ensure camera captures full frame.
- Make sure face is visible.
- Ensure lighting is adequate.
- Eliminate natural lighting.
- When logging into your telehealth visit or appointment, type your full name into the name field on your login screen.