American Board of Pediatrics Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters
Children's Medical Center of Dallas
A native of South Carolina, Dr. File attended medical school at the University of South Carolina and completed his pediatrics residency at CHKD, where he decided on a career in pediatric hematology/oncology.
He completed his fellowship training in pediatric hematology/oncology at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas. During his fellowship, he became interested in graduate medical education with a special interest in healthcare communication training and completed a Masters in Medical Education through the University of New England.
After completing his fellowship, he returned to South Carolina where he practiced as a member of the Bi-Lo Charities Children’s Cancer Center.
He returned to CHKD in 2015 to help provide advance cancer treatments to the families of the Hampton Roads area and to continue his interest in medical education. He is heavily involved in resident, medical student and nursing education at CHKD and is the director of education for EdMarc Children Hospice Services. He is also the physician leader for CHKD Schwartz Center for Compassionate Care.
- General pediatric hematology/oncology
- Musculoskeletal tumors
- Wilms Tumor/hepatoblastoma
- Cancer genetics
- Pediatric palliative care
- Cancer survivorship
Honors and Awards:
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Children’s Cancer Fund of Dallas Grant Recipient
- UT Academy of Health Science Education Small Grant Recipient
- Rubio/Koehl Resident Teaching Award (CHKD, 2010)
- Outstanding First Year Resident Award (CHKD, 2008)
- Saunders Humanism Honor Society (University of South Carolina SOM, 2007)
View Dr. File’s published research at PubMed.
Community Involvement and Memberships:
Dr. File and his family are members of Trinity Presbyterian Church.
St. Baldrick Foundation
Victory Junction Gang Camp
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518