University of Minnesota Medical School
Kaiser Permanente Northern California
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Dr. Wellenstein was born and raised in North Dakota. She moved to Minneapolis, Minnesota, Oakland, California, and Cincinnati, Ohio, to complete her medical training as a pediatric and adolescent gynecologist.
Dr. Wellenstein cares for girls and young women ranging in age from newborns to 21 years. Her medical care includes treatment for vulvar conditions, abnormal periods, ovarian cysts, and complex reproductive tract anomalies.
Her goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for her patients and their families while providing education in a manner that helps them understand their conditions and concerns.
Her clinical interests are minimally invasive surgery, reproductive anomalies, and endometriosis.
Dr. Wellenstein is committed to expanding diversity in the medical field, and also seeks to empower and build local communities through volunteer work and mentoring programs.
In her free time, she enjoys cooking, eating at delicious restaurants, trying new exercise classes, running, traveling, attending concerts, and spending time with friends and family. She’s looking forward to exploring the Hampton Roads area and adopting a new puppy in the near future.
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery
- Reproductive tract anomalies
- Vulvar dermatoses
- Improving representation within medicine
Honors and Awards:
- Faculty Selected Care Experience Award (June 2019)
- AAGL Chief Resident Laparoscopic Surgeon Award (June 2019)
- SMFM Residency Program Award for Excellence in Obstetrics (June 2018)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (January 2018)
- Peer Selected Outstanding Teacher Award (June 2017)
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” – 2023
- Wellenstein W, Tyson N. Reproductive Effects of Obesity in Adolescents Sanfilippo JS, Lara-Torre E, Gomez-Lobo V, editors. Sanfilippo’s Textbook of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology. CRC Press; 2019 Aug 6.
- Wellenstein W, Sullivan S, Darbinian MJ, Weintraub M, Greenberg M Pregnancy Outcomes in Women with Sickle Cell Trait. American Journal of Perinatology Reports. 2019 Oct;9(04):e346-52.
- Handler T, Hojilla JC, Varghese R, Wellenstein W, Satre DD, Zaritsky E Trends in Referrals to a Pediatric Transgender Clinic Pediatrics. 2019 Nov 1;144(5).
Community Involvement and Memberships:
- National Medical Association, 2019- present
- North American Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 2015- present
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2011- present
- Black Girl White Coat Mentor, 2020-present
Fort Norfolk Office
301 Riverview Avenue
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
1924 Landstown Centre Way
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
500 Discovery Dr
Chesapeake, VA 23320