American Board of Pediatrics
Georgetown University School of Medicine
University of California San Francisco
University of Iowa
Educated at the University of Notre Dame, Dr. Escalera is a native of California. Prior to arriving at CHKD, he was an attending physician as part of the INOVA pediatric residency program in northern Virginia.
Dr. Escalera and his wife have three sons.
Dr. Escalera is fluent in Spanish and joined a team of physicians and nurses providing care to children with congenital heart disease and cardiac arrhythmia from the states of Campeche and Mérida in Mexico in the winter of 2006.
Honors and Awards:
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Outstanding Clinical Sub-specialist Teaching Award, INOVA, 2008
- Annual Fellow in Training Travel Award, American College of Cardiology, 2007
- Best Pediatric Resident Teacher Award, UCSF-Fresno, 2003
- Best 2nd-year Pediatric Resident Award, UCSF-Fresno, 2002
- Outstanding Achievement in Community Service, Dept. of Family Medicine, Georgetown University, 2000
- Echocardiographic Assessment of Cardiac Morphology and Function in Xenopus. Bartlett, HB, Escalera II, RB, Patel, SS, Wedemeyer EW, Volk, KA, Lohr, JL, Reinking, BE. Comparative Medicine. 2010 April; 60 (2): 107-113.
- Triple-balloon pulmonary valvuloplasty: An advantageous technique for percutaneous repair of pulmonary valve stenosis in the large pediatric and adult patients. Escalera, RB, Chase, TJ, Owada, CY. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2005 Nov; 66 (3): 446-451.
Community Involvement and Memberships:
Medical Society of Virginia
American College of Cardiology
American Academy of Pediatrics
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
500 Discovery Dr
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Oyster Point Office
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Princess Anne Office
2021 Concert Dr
Virginia Beach, VA 23456