American Board of Pediatrics
Michigan State University
Dr. Atay was born and raised in Maryland where he attended Towson University. At Howard University College of Medicine he graduated Alpha Omega Alpha, a lifetime medical honors society granted to students graduating at the top of their class. He completed his pediatric residency at Michigan State University followed by a pediatric gastroenterology fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic, where he was the recipient of two research awards in the field of pediatric gastroenterology. Dr. Atay feels that finding the perfect place to practice can be incredibly challenging and that physician shortages have provided most doctors the luxury of having many options when choosing a place to establish their practice. He was looking for a children’s hospital completely dedicated to healing sick children above any other priority and feels that CHKD exemplifies this in everything it does. Dr. Atay serves as the director of CHKD’s Neurogastroenterology Motility Program.
- Motility disorders
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Liver disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Eosinophilic gastrointestinal disease
- ImproveCareNow Network: A multi-center collaborative that provides quality improvement (QI) techniques and tools that enable participating care providers to achieve the model IBD care practices. It is supported by the American Board of Pediatrics, the Alliance for Pediatric Quality, the Centers for Education and Research in Therapeutics, the US Agency for Health Care Quality and Research, the National Institutes of Health and participating institutions.
- Sucampo Pediatric Functional Constipation Program: A multicentre, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded study of the efficacy, safety and pharmacokinetics of lubiprostone in pediatric subjects aged ≥ 6 years to < 18 years with functional constipation; PI Orhan Atay, MD; began 2014.
Honors and Awards:
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters: James W. Hayes, M.D. Faculty Teaching Award – 2013
- Cleveland Clinic – Children’s Hospital: Fellow Award in Research for Plasma Citrulline Levels in Pediatric Patients with Small Bowel Crohn’s Disease – A Novel Biomarker of Inflammation at the 20th Annual Pediatric Research Day – 2009
- Fellow Award in Research for The Risk of Capsule Endoscopy – Single Center Experience at the 19th Annual Pediatric Research Day – 2008
- Howard University College of Medicine: Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Medical Society
- Atay O. Update in adolescent gastroenterology. Adolesc Med State Art Rev. 2013 Apr;24(1):264-72.
- Atay O. Adolescence and gastrointestinal disorders. Int J Health and Hum Dev 2012;5(4):481-495.
- Atay O. (2012) Adolescence and Gastrointestinal disorders. Adolescent medicine: pharmacotherapeutics in medical disorders. (pp. 119-134). Berlin/Boston: Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co.
- Feinberg L, Atay O. (2010) Gastroenterology. In D. Greydanus, D. Patel, V. Reddy, A. Feinburg and H. Omar (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Pediatrics: An update for the ambulatory pediatrician. (pp. 295-320). Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.
- Uko V, Atay O, Mahajan L, Kay M, Hupertz V, Wyllie R. Endoscopic deployment of the wireless capsule using a capsule delivery device in pediatric patients – A case series. Endoscopy. 2009 Apr;41(4):380-2.
- Atay O, Mahajan L, Kay M, Mohr F, Kaplan B, Wyllie R. The risk of capsule endoscope retention in pediatric patients: A large single center experience and review of the literature. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009 Aug;49(2):196-201.
- Atay O, Radhakrishnan K, Arruda J, Wyllie R. Severe chest pain in a pediatric ulcerative colitis patient after 5-ASA therapy. World J Gastroenterol, 2008 July 21;14 (27).
- Carter-Kent C, Wyneski M, Muniyappa P, Atay O, Mahajan L. Image of the month: submucosal mass. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, 2008 Jul;47(1):1-2.
- Feinberg AN, Feinberg LA, Atay OK. Gastrointestinal care of children and adolescents with developmental disabilities International Journal on Disability. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2008 Dec;55(6):1343-58.
- Atay O, Feinberg A. Irritable bowel syndrome. Section on Adolescent Health Newsletter, Autumn 2005; p. 11-13.
Community Involvement and Memberships:
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
Ohio Children’s Hospital Solutions for Patient Safety federally funded collaborative to reduce hospital acquired conditions (HAC)
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
Harbour View North Office
5832 Harbour View Blvd
Suffolk, VA 23435
500 Discovery Dr
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Oyster Point Office
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Princess Anne Office
2021 Concert Dr
Virginia Beach, VA 23456