American Board of Emergency Medicine
American Board of Pediatrics
University of Alabama
University of Alabama
University of Cincinnati
Medical College of Georgia
Dr. Poirier has been at CSG since 1996 and is involved with medical education at CHKD, having served as the fellowship director of the pediatric emergency medicine fellowship program.
Dr. Poirier is also involved in all levels of education of students, residents and fellows and has numerous publications pertaining to the care of acutely ill children.
- All areas of pediatric emergency medicine
- Health care workers’ perspectives on fever
- Emergency department utilization
- Pain control
- Non-invasive monitoring devices
- Initial management of patients in diabetic ketoacidosis
Honors and Awards:
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Top Doctors, Hampton Roads Magazine, 2013
- Best Pediatric Emergency Medicine Physician, Hampton Roads Magazine, 2004
- Finalist: James W. Hayes Faculty Teaching Award, EVMS, 1998
- Poirier MP, Ford J, Ahlstedt S, Dolen WK. Use of thiocyanate elution to estimate relative avidity of allergen specific IgE antibodies. Allergy Asthma Pro. 1997;18(6):359-362.
- Poirier MP, Gonzalez del-Rey JA, McAneney CM, DiGiulio GA. Utility of monitoring capnography, pulse oximetry and vital signs in the detection of airway mishaps: A hyperoxemic animal model. Am J Emerg Med. 1998;16:350-352.
- Poirier MP, Davis PH, Gonzalez del-Rey JA, Monroe KW. Pediatric emergency nurses’perspectives on fever in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2000;16:9-12.
- Gonzalez del-Rey JA, Poirier MP, DiGiulio GA. Evaluation of an ambu-bag-valve with a self-contained, colorimetric end-tidal CO2 system in the detection of airway mishaps: An animal trial. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2000;16:121-123.
- Qureshi F, Zaritsky A, Poirier MP. Comparative efficacy of oral dexamethasone versus oral prednisone in acute pediatric asthma. J Pediatr. 2001;139:20-26.
- Poirier MP, Pruitt CW. Factors used by pediatric emergency fellowship program directors to select their fellows. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2003;19:157-161.
- Maniktala A, Pruitt CW, Poirier MP. Deaths In a Non-Trauma Center Pediatric Emergency Department: A Ten-Year Experience. Internet Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2004; Volume 1 Number 2.
- Poirier MP, Greer DG, Satin-Smith MS. A prospective study of the benefits of the “two bag”system in diabetic ketoacidosis. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2004;43:809-813.
- Huang CJ, Poirier MP, Cantwell JR, Ermis PA, Isaacman DJ. Prudent layperson definition of a pediatric emergent medical condition. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2006;45:149-156.
- Schobitz ES, Schmidt JM, Poirier MP. Biologic and Chemical Terrorism in Children: An Assessment of Residents’ Knowledge. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2008;47:267-270 .
- Brennen DFP, Barnes-Eley M, Poirier MP. Parental knowledge of disaster preparedness in schools. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health. 2009;2:3:405-414.
- Allen K, Brennen DFP, Poirier MP. Preparing public school personnel to effectively respond to a large-scale crisis: Evaluation of an emergency management training. Journal of Emergency Management. 2010;8:21-33.
- Poirier MP, Collins EP, McGuire E. Fever phobia, A survey of caregivers of children seen in a pediatric emergency department. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2010;9:530-534.
Community Involvement and Memberships:
American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow
Member Section on Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Member Virginia Chapter
Ambulatory Pediatric Association
Member Pediatric Emergency Medicine Special Interest Group
American College of Emergency Physicians, Fellow
Southern Society for Pediatric Research
Medical Society of Virginia
Virginia Pediatric Society
Tidewater Pediatric Society
Team Physician, Oscar Smith High School
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
- Michelle Arzubi-Hughes, DO
- Omar Blanco, MD
- Elizabeth Burgess, CPNP
- James Burhop, DO
- Lyndsey Clements, CPNP
- Joel Clingenpeel, MD
- Margaret Eason, MD
- Jessica Green, DNP, BSN, CPNP-PC
- Miriam Henebry, CPNP-PC
- Kristin Herbert, DO
- Andrea Hornbuckle, MD
- Rupa Kapoor, MD
- Alexandra Leader, MD
- James Luckey, MD
- Paul Mullan, MD
- Kelley Murphy, PA
- Kelli Petronis, MD
- Faiqa Qureshi, MD
- Dana Ramirez, MD
- Garima Sarda, MD
- Nicole Schacherer, MD
- James Schmidt, MD
- Kim Schock, MD
- Bryan Upham, MD
- Kelly Vokoun, MD
- Melanie Weller,MD
- Nicholas White, MD