American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Yale School of Medicine
Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
Originally from Rye, NY, Dr. Focseneanu recently moved to Virginia with her husband after three years in academic practice in New York and Connecticut. She provides general, as well as specialized, gynecologic care to girls and young women in a non-judgmental and personalized way, knowing that going to the gynecologist (especially for the first time) can be an intimidating experience. Her goals are to make visits as painless and educational as possible, take the time to listen to all concerns and needs, and offer multiple treatment options together create a healthcare plan that is optimal for the patient. Gynecological problems in girls and teens can have profound consequences on sexual development and future fertility if not addressed properly. Dr. Focseneanu’s specialized training and clinical practice have given her expertise in managing gynecological issues unique to this population, and she enjoys working as a multidisciplinary team with other specialists to offer optimal care for each situation. She also feels it is important for even healthy teenage patients to understand the changes they are experiencing, and feel informed about sexual health and contraception. She truly values the relationships she has with her patients and their parents, and is committed to providing care with compassion and respect.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Ovarian masses
- Congenital anomalies of the reproductive tract
- Lichen sclerosis
- Gynecological wellcare
- Pediatric and adolescent gynecology
Honors and Awards:
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- American Medical Women’s Association: Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Citation
- Norma Bailey Berniker Prize, Yale University
- Forray A, Focseneanu M, Pittman B, McDougle CJ, Epperson CN. Onset and exacerbation of obsessive-compulsive disorder in pregnancy and the postpartum period. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010 Aug;71(8):1061-8.
- Focseneanu MA, Omurtag K, Ratts V, Merritt DF. The Auto-amputated Adnexa: A Review of Findings in a Pediatric Population. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013 Dec;26(6):305-13.
- Focseneanu MA, Gupta M, Squires KC, Bayliss SJ, Berk D, Merritt DF. The course of lichen sclerosus diagnosed prior to puberty. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013 Jun;26(3):153-5.
- Sokkary N, Mansouri R, Yoost J, Focseneanu M, Dumont T, Nathwani M, Allen L, Hertweck SP, Dietrich JE. A multicenter survey of contraceptive knowledge among adolescents in North America. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013 Oct;26(5):274-6.
- Focseneanu MA, Merritt DF. Massive Hydronephrosis from Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction Masquerading as a Paratubal Cyst in an 11-Year-Old Girl. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2014 Aug 12. pii: S1083-3188
Community Involvement and Memberships:
North American Society for Pediatric & Adolescent Gynecology
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
Harbour View North Office
5832 Harbour View Blvd
Suffolk, VA 23435
6425 Richmond Road
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Oyster Point Office
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606