American Board of Pediatrics
University of North Carolina
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Dr. Pegram completed all of her clinical training after medical school at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. She then returned to her home state of North Carolina to join the faculty at Duke University Medical Center.
She came to CHKD in 2004 and served as medical director of the children’s cancer and blood disorders center (2008-2015), served on the Children’s Specialty Group (CSG) Management Committee/Board (2008-2015) and she served as the division director of pediatric hematology and oncology (2010-2015). In 2015, Dr. Lowe took over as leader of the division.
Dr. Pegram now focuses on her true passion, incorporating the principles of palliative care throughout the overall care of children with cancer. She is actively involved with the leadership of Edmarc Hospice for Children and is the medical director of the Oncology palliative care team.
- Pediatric hematology/oncology
- Pain and symptom management
- Palliative care
- Symptoms and quality of life in children with cancer
- Understanding the experience of parents/caregivers of children with cancer
Honors and Awards:
- Outstanding Skills-Based Volunteer honoree for the 2018 Hampton Roads VOLUNTEER Achievement Awards
- Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Racing for Hope Foundation, research training and mentorship grant, 2014
- WHRO 5th Annual Community Impact Award in Health and Public Safety, 2013 (Award in recognition of volunteer work with Edmarc Hospice for Children)
- Hyundai Hope on Wheels Scholar, grant recipient, 2011-2013
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1995-present
- Klein C., Pegram L., Vazifedan T., Dukes R-M., Mark M.: Influence of Disease Status on Symptom Burden and Quality of Life in Children with Cancer. Abstract/Poster Presentation, The Annual Assemble of Hospice and Palliative Care, Boston MA, March 14-17, 2018. J. Pain Symptom Manage 55:662-663, 2018.
- Bowers H., Brenner M., Pegram L., Mark M.: “Trophic Donor Human Milk Feeds in a Pediatric Oncology Patient”, Abstract/Poster Presentation, Academy of Breast Feeding Medicine, Cleveland, OH, November 13-16, 2014.
- Stalls J.M., Mark M.S., MD, Perkins A.M., MS, and Pegram L.D., MD: “Relationship Between Parental (Caregiver) Distress and Perceptions of Quality of Life (QOL) in Children with Cancer”, Summer Scholar Poster Presentation, Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)/Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD), Norfolk, VA, August 1, 2013.
- Shores D., Kobak G., Pegram L., Whitington P., and Shneider B.: Giant cell hepatitis and immune thrombocytopenic purpura – Reversal of liver failure with Rituximab therapy. J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. Sept 14, 2011.
- Szerlip N.J., Fox E., Manosca F., Pegram L.D., and Lonser R.R.: Pancreatoblastoma metastases to the brain. J.Neurosurg: Pediatrics 106:169, 2007.
- Himelstein B.P., Jackson N.L., Pegram L.: The Power of Silence. Journal of Clinical Oncology 19(19):3996, 2001.
- Pegram L.D., Megonigal M.D., Lange B.J., Nowell P.C., Rowley J.D., Rappaport E.F., Felix C.A.: t(3;11) translocation in treatment-related acute myeloid leukemia fuses MLL with the GMPS (Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate Synthetase) gene. Blood 96:4360-4362, 2000.
Community Involvement and Memberships:
Medical Director, Edmarc Hospice for Children, Portsmouth, VA, 2016-present
Assistant Medical Director, Edmarc Hospice for Children, Portsmouth, VA, 2007-2016
Board of Directors, Edmarc Hospice for Children, Portsmouth, VA, 2006-present
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518