American Board of Pediatrics Pediatric Endocrinology
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
Greenville (S.C.) Hospital System
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Dr. Reifschneider is a fellowship-trained pediatric endocrinologist, an associate professor at Eastern Virginia Medical School, and a national advocate in the areas of diabetes and health awareness. He also serves as CHKD’s medical director of nutrition services and chairs the nutrition subcommittee.
Active with the Pediatric Endocrine Society as co-chair of the practice management committee, Dr. Reifschneider is tasked with providing strategies, tools and information needed to facilitate the office management and practice of pediatric endocrinology and is solely responsible for educating society board members on initiatives to create a national quality improvement registry for Type-1 Diabetes.
Dr. Reifschneider has also been involved with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, helping identify outcome measurements and definitions to improve research, quality of care, and to establish clinical criteria that are accepted by U.S. payers incorporating technology and future treatment tools.
Dr. Reifschneider is also a board member of the Human Growth Foundation, promoting awareness, education and research support related to growth disorders.
Regionally, he has organized the most recent meetings of the Virginia Pediatric Endocrine Society, improving communication and collaborative patient care among providers, and has arranged presentations and speakers from within and beyond the state.
- Cystic fibrosis-related diabetes
- Growth abnormalities
Honors and Awards:
Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021
Appointed Associate Professor of Pediatrics 2017
Top Doctors of Hampton Roads 2013
Invited guest speaker to several conferences in the Virginia and throughout the Southeast
- Kevin C.J. Yuen, Brent E. Masel, Kent L. Reifschneider, Melinda Sheffield-Moore, Randall J. Urban, Richard B. Pyles. Alterations of the GH/IGF-I Axis and Gut Microbiome after Traumatic Brain Inju- ry: A New Clinical Syndrome? J Clin Endocrinol Metab, September 2020, 105(9):1–11
- ADA Consensus Report (reserved) – Standardizing Clinically Meaningful Outcome Measures Beyond HbA1c for Type 1 Diabetes: A Consensus Statement of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, the American Diabetes Association, the Endocrine Society, JDRF International, the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust, the Pediatric Endocrine Society (Reifschneider KL, Weinzimer, S and Rubin, K) and the T1D Exchange. Diabetes Care. October 2017
- Reifschneider KL, Auble BA, Rose SR. Update of Endocrine Dysfunction following Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury. Journal of Clinical Medicine July 2015, (4) 1536-1560
- Virginia Pediatrics, Update on vitamin D and optimizing bone health in infants, children and adolescents, Spring 2011
- Traumatic brain injury in children: Endocrine sequelae. Anne-Marie D Kaulfers, MD, Samantha Blum, RN, Philippe F Backeljauw, MD, Linda Michaud, MD, Moshe Weiss, MD, Kent Reifschneider,MD, Susan R Rose, MD: Journal of Pediatrics, Dec 2010
- Virginia Pediatrics, Article addressing late effects clinic: Endocrinological follow-up for childhood cancer survivors. Summer 2010
- Prevalence of adrenal insufficiency following systemic glucocorticoid therapy in infants with hemangiomas. Lomenick JP, Reifschneider KL, Lucky AW, et al. Arch of Dermatology 2009 vol.145(3): 262-66 with valuable editorial pages 319-20
- FOCUS on Pediatrics, Greenville Hospital System Medical News Letter. Article informing primary pediatricians regarding endocrine related signs and symptoms following treatment in cancer survivors. June 2008
Community Involvement and Memberships:
Pediatric Endocrine Society (co-chair, practice management committee)
Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
Human Growth Foundation
Volunteer with numerous events relating to diabetes and health awareness
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
1924 Landstown Centre Way
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
500 Discovery Dr
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Oyster Point Office
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606