Surgery Boards Certifications
American Board of Otolaryngology
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh
Children's National Medical Center
Dr. Derkay is the Director of Pediatric Otolaryngology at CHKD as well as the Fine-endowed professor and Vice- Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
In his 31st year a CHKD, he has been part of the leadership team at CHKD for many years as a member of the Medical Executive committee, Surgical Authorities committee, Medical Directors, Division Directors, Surgical Performance Improvement committee and various task forces.
Dr. Derkay has written over 150 peer-reviewed scientific publications and 35 book chapters. He has been invited to over 30 institutions to serve as a Visiting Professor and has lectured around the world on various ENT topics. He has served as President of the American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology and the Society for Ear, Nose and Throat Advances in Children, Chairman of the American Academy of Otolaryngology’s Pediatric Otolaryngology committee and the American College of Surgeons’ Otolaryngology Advisory Council. He has been the President of the Tidewater Pediatric Society, the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons and is currently the Governor for the Virginia Chapter of the ACS. At EVMS, Dr. Derkay has served twice as the President of the Faculty Senate.
He and his wife, Dr. Kris Kennedy, have two adult children, daughter Alex and son Andy, and two precious grandchildren, Cam and Avi.
Honors and Awards:
• Coastal Virginia Magazine “Top Doc” 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019 2020
• Dean’s Outstanding Faculty Award for Mentorship
• Sylvan Stool Lifetime Achievement Award in Teaching
• Robert Ruben Lifetime Achievement Award in Research
• Best Doctor’s list every year since inception
• Recurrent respiratory papillomas
• Otitis media
• Obstructive sleep disorders in children
• Development of new surgical tools
Community Involvement and Memberships
• President of American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology
• President Society for Ear, Nose and Throat Advances in Children
• Chair, American College of Surgeons Otolaryngology Advisory Board
• President, Virginia Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
• Vice-Chairman, Dept. of Otolaryngology EVMS
• Senior Examiner, American Board of Otolaryngology
Dr. Derkay’s published research can be viewed at PubMed.
CHKD Main Hospital
601 Children's Ln
Norfolk, VA 23518
500 Discovery Dr
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Oyster Point Office
11783 Rock Landing Drive
Newport News, VA 23606
Princess Anne Office
2021 Concert Dr
Virginia Beach, VA 23456