CSG physicians are committed to developing excellence in clinical services, education and research. Here’s a closer look at some of their outstanding achievements!
In 2016, seventy-four CSG physicians were voted Top Docs of Coastal Virginia by their peers!
September 2016 Updates
Dr. Joel Brenner has authored a report by the American Academy of Pediatrics warning parents about the negative effects, both physically and emotionally, of encouraging young athletes to specialize in one sport at an early age. The article can be found here.
- Regional scale-up of an Emergency Triage Assessment and Treatment (ETAT) training programme from a referral hospital to primary care health centres in Guatemala. Kapoor R, Sandoval MA, Avendano L, Cruz AT , Soto MA, Camp EA, Crouse HL. Emerg Med J. 2016 May 20. pii: emermed-2015-205057. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2015-205057. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27207345
- Waleed Kurton, MD; Andrew J. Degnan, MD; Katherine G. Langley, MS; Samantha A. Schrier Vergano, MD. Why Does This Boy Have Multiple Joint Contractures? Pediatrics Consultant. 2016;15(7):373-374
- Long A, Sinkovskaya ES, Edmondson AC, Zackai E, Schrier Vergano SA. 2016. Kabuki syndrome as a cause of non-immune fetal hydrops/ascites. Am J Med Genet Part A 9999A:1-5.
July 2016 Updates
In 2015, Children’s Specialty Group created an award to recognize Excellence in Physician Leadership as a meaningful way to honor Dr. Svinder Toor as he stepped down after serving as CSG’s President for 17 years. While there are many qualities of an effective and successful physician leader, it was noted that those particularly characteristic of Dr. Toor were Confidence, Collaboration, Vision, and Humility. The 2016 Excellence in Physician Leadership Award was presented by CSG’s CEO, Suzanne Lavin, to Dr. Reuben Rohn. Dr. Rohn has been of member of the CHKD community for 37 years. He has led the Medical Student program and chaired the Promotions Committee among many other contributions. His commitment to his profession is unique. Many times, Dr. Rohn has been heard saying that being a doctor is all he ever wanted to do.
- Dr. Rupa Kapoor was the recipient of the James W. Hayes, MD Faculty Teaching Award.
- Both the Hematology/Oncology and Neonatology Divisions were awarded the Excellence in Teaching Award.
These awards are presented annually on Research Day as a way for the Department of Pediatrics to honor faculty and divisions that have demonstrated exceptional patient care and support for medical education.
- Craig Derkay, MD, 13th Annual Middle East Update in Otolaryngology, gave keynote addresses. “Respiratory Papillo-matsis: What Do We Know?” and “Otitis Media 2016: An Update for the General Otolaryngologist”. Dubai, UAE, May 2016.
- Craig Derkay, MD, “E-Cigarettes: Do They Prevent or Lead to Smoking in Adolescents?”. Salzburg, Austria, June 15-18.
- Craig Derkay, MD, EUROGIN Congress “ Management of Pediatric RRP-Update 2016”, Lisbon Portugal, June 18-21.
- Aisha Joyce, MD, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, Athletic Training Student Aid Workshop, Virginia Beach, VA, “Growth Plate Injuries”; June 2016.
- LaPrade RF, Agel J, Baker J, Brenner JS, et. al. AOSSM Early Sport Specialization Consensus Statement. Or-thop J Sports Med. 2016 Apr 28;4(4): doi:10.1177/2325967116644241.
- Parvathi S. Kumar, Haree K. Pallera, Pamela S. Hair, Magdielis Gregory Rivera, Tushar A. Shah, Alice L. Werner, Frank A. Lattanzio,5 Kenji M. Cunnion, and Neel K. Krishna. Peptide inhibitor of com-plement C1 modulates acute intravascular hemolysis of mismatched red blood cells in rats. Transfusion, May 2016;00,1-13.
- Zarate YA, Bhoj E, Kaylor J, Li D, Tsurusaki Y, Miyake N, Matsumoto N, Phadke S, Escobar L, Irani A, Ha-konarson H, Schrier Vergano SA. 2016 SMARCE1, A RARE CAUSE OF Coffin-Siris Syndrome: Clinical descrip-tion of three additional cases. Am J Med Genet part A 9999A:1-7.
June 2016 Updates
- Dr. Jill Miller has been selected to be the Co-Chair of the EVMS Admissions Committee for the academic years 2016-2019.
- Dr. Eric Werner presented at the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Annual Meeting in Minneapolis on May 14, 2016: “Patient engagement: Why IT thinks they own it and what they are doing about it.”
- J. Bryan Carmody, MD, MPH, Matthew W. Harer, MD, Anna R. Denotti, MD, Jonathan R. Swanson, MD, MS, and Jennifer R. Charlton, MD, MS. Caffeine Exposure and Risk of Acute Kidney Injury in a Retrospective Cohort of Very Low Birth Weight Neonates. J Pediatr 2016;172:663-68
- Greenfield B, Clingenpeel JM. Pediatric Heat-Related Illness. Emergency Medicine, 2016 June, pp. 3-10.
- Mehta D, Vergano SAS, Deardorff M, Aggarwal S, Barot A, Johnson DM, Miller NF, Noon SE, Kaur M, Jackson L, Krantz ID. 2016. Characterization of limb differences in children with Cor-nelia de Lange Syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 9999C:1–8.
- Di Donato N, Kuechler A, Vergano S, Heinritz W, Bodurtha J, Merchant SR, Breningstall G, Ladda R, Sell S, Altmu€ller J, Bo€gershausen N, Timms AE, Hackmann K, Schrock E, Collins S, Olds C, Rump A, Dobyns WB. 2016. Update on the ACTG1- associated Baraitser–Winter cerebrofrontofacial syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 9999A:1–8
May 2016 Updates
CSG physicians give back through community service.
We’re proud to announce that Dr. Noelle Gabriel has been elected to serve on the Norfolk School Board. Dr. Gabriel was appointed to the board in July of 2012 and was elected Vice Chair in May of 2016.
- Joel Brenner, MD was appointed to the NBA & USA Basketball Youth Basketball Working Group on Player Health & Wellness.
- Frank Chocano, MD has been promoted to Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics. Dr. Chocano has been a faculty member since 2005 and is a member of the Division of Pediatric Pulmonology. He has provided significant contribution to the Department of Pediatrics as the developer of the innovative iSLEEP Program which has become the standard for EVMS residents and students. He also serves as the Academic Director in his Division.
- Joel Clingenpeel, MD, a nationally recognized expert in pediatric emergency medicine, was invited as an Associate Editor to join the editorial board of Emergency Medicine, a peer reviewed practice journal for emergency medicine physicians.
- Rupa Kapoor, MD was nominated and accepted for the AAMC 2016 Early Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar.
- Mehta D, Vergano SAS, Deardorff M, Aggarwal S, Barot A, Johnson DM, Miller NF, Noon SE, Kaur M, Jackson L, Krantz ID. 2016. Characterization of limb differences in children with Cornelia de Lange Syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 9999C:1–8.
- J. Bryan Carmody, MD, MPH, Matthew W. Harer, MD, Anna R. Denotti, MD, Jonathan R. Swanson, MD, MS2, and Jennifer R. Charlton, MD, MS. Caffeine Exposure and Risk of Acute Kidney Injury in a Retrospective Cohort of Very Low Birth Weight Neonates. J Pediatr 2016;172:63-8
- Elizabeth J. Bhoj, Dong Li, Margaret Harr, Shimon Edvardson, Orly Elpeleg, Elizabeth Chisholm, Jane Juusola, Ganka Douglas, Maria J. Guillen Sacoto, Karine Siquier-Pernet, Abdelkrim Saadi, Christine Bole-Feysot, Patrick Nitschke, Alekhya Narravula, Maria Walke, Michele B. Horner, Debra-Lynn Day-Salvatore, Parul Jayakar, Samantha A. Schrier Vergano, Mark A. Tarnopolsky, Madhuri Hegde, Laurence Colleaux, Peter Crino, and Hakon Hakonarson. Mutations in TBCK, Encoding TBC1-Domain-Containing Kinase, Lead to a Recognizable Syndrome of Intellectual Disability and Hypotonia. Am J of Human Genetics 98, 782-788, April 7, 2016.
- Kenji M. Cunnion, MD; Lauren K. Willis,MD; Heather B. Minto, D; Tanya C. Burch, PhD; Alice L. Werner; Tushar A. Shah, MD; Neel K. Krishna, PhD; Julius O. Nyalwidhe, PhD; Kelly M. Maples, MD.. Eosinophil Quantitated Urine Kinetic. A novel assay for assessment of eosinophilic esophagitis.
- Auerbach M, Fein DM, Chang TP, Gerard J, Zaveri P, Grossman D, Van Ittersum W, Rocker J, Whitfill T, Pusic M, Kessler DO; INSPIRE LP Investigators (Clingenpeel JM). The Correlation of Workplace Simulation-Based Assessments With Interns’ Infant Lumbar Puncture Success
April 2016 Updates
- Paul Mullan, MD was a Workshop Co-Leader with Dr. Joel Tieder (Seattle Children’s) at the American Academy of Pediatrics Annual Leadership Forum 2016: Quality Improvement Tools to Improve Handoffs and Qualifying for MOC Part 4. Chicago, IL. March 12, 2016.
- Joel Brenner, MD was invited to be Guest Co-Editor of British Journal of Sports Medicine‘s special theme issue “Care of the Young Athlete”, January 2017.
- Samantha Schrier Vergano, “Summary Findings on an Additional 30 individuals with Coffin-Siris syndrom: Data from the 2015 Coffin-Siris and BRG1- or HRBM- Associated Factor (BAF) Related Disorders Registry” 2016 ACMG Annual Clinical Genetics Meeting.Dr. Vergano scored a high ranking when reviewed by the ACMG Annual Clinical Genetics Meeting Program Committee. As a top poster she was acknowledged in the abstract search function and by a ribbon placed on her board. Tampa, FL, March 8-12, 2016.
- Joel Brenner, invited speaker for Dance Medicine Update, Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters, “Overuse Problems in Young Dancers,” Virginia Beach, VA; March 19, 2016
- Joel Brenner, CHKD SPorts Medicine program update for King’s Daughters Royster Circle, Norfolk, VA; February 2016.
- Joel Brenner was interviewed for WTKR-TV “A Dangerous Game: Kids and Concussions“, February 2016
- Rianna Leazer, Amy M. Perkins, Kyrie Shomaker, Bryan Fine. A Meta-analysis of the Rates of Listeria monocytogenes and Enterococcus in Febrile Infants. Hospital Pediatrics: April 2016:6 (4) 187-195; DOI: 10.1542/hpeds.2015-0187
- Kelly Maples, Kenji Cunnion, Neel Krishna, Lauren Willis. Eosinophil Quantitated Urine Kinetic (EoQUIK) – a novel assay for assessment of eosinophilic esophagitis Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Now on Pubmed
- R. Kumar, DDK Khalso, JB Carmody. Serum uric acid and hyperuricemia in U.S. adolescents: 40 year trends. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016 Jan 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Samantha Vergano, MD, and Jennifer Ibrahim, MD “A Boy With Abdominal Enlargement and Pain” Case in Point: Gaucher Disease, Consultant for Pediatricians: 2016:15(3):130-132
- A Novel Approach to Combining Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Global Health Fellowships Crouse, Heather L.; Mullan, Paul C.; Macias, Charles G.; Hsu, Deborah C.; Shook, Joan E.; Sirbaugh, Paule E.; Schutze, Gordon E.; Torrey, Susan B. Pediatric Emergency Care; March 2016 – Volume 32 – Issue 3.
- Greenfield B, Ellis A, Vergano S. Case 2: SGA Newborn with Respiratory Distress and Active Precordium. NeoReviews. April 2016. Vol. 17. Issue 4.
- Blankson KL, Brenner JS. Anticipatory Guidance for Long-Distance Running in Young Athletes. Pediatr Ann. 2016;45(3):e83-e86.
- Brenner JS. Sports Physicals: More than a Signature. AAP News 2016;37(3):11.