CSG physicians are committed to developing excellence in clinical services, education and research, which has led to numerous peer reviewed journal publications and presentations. Many of the CSG physicians and other providers are also members and leaders on national quality initiatives. Here’s a closer look at some of their recent outstanding achievements!
- Jill D. Miller, MD
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Promoted to Associate Professor of Pediatrics,
effective July 1, 2018.
- Joel Brenner, MD
Division of Sports Medicine
Moderator and organizer of Plenary Presentation at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 27th Annual Meeting “Preparticipation Physical Exam”, Orlan-do, Florida April 26, 2018
Moderator and judge of Research Presentations at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 27th Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida April 26, 2018
- Samantha Vergano, MD, Division of Medical Genetics
Quoted in The Virginian-Pilot In article on one of CHKD’s genetics families!
“Chesapeake parents of twins with genetic disorders face heartache, tough choices”
By Elizabeth Simpson , The Virginian-Pilot
May 17, 2018, Updated May 19, 2018
- Joel Brenner, MD, Division of Sports Medicine
Interviewed for USA Today on young athletes and personal trainers.
- Paul Mullan, MD, MPH
Director of Research and Quality Improvement, Division of Emergency Medicine
Description of Hot Debriefings after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrests in an International Pediatric Quali-ty Improvement Collaborative. Resuscitation .
A cross sectional survey of child abuse management knowledge among emergency medicine person-nel in Cape Town South Africa. African J of Emergency Medicine
- Samantha A. Schrier Vergano, MD, Natural history, Surveillance, and Management Recommendations for In-dividuals with Coffin-Siris Syndrome from genotype-phenotype analysis of 81 individuals. American College Medical Genetics Annual Meeting , Charlotte, NC. April, 2018.
Sanaz Devlin, MD, Robyn Bockrath, MD, Jean Petershack, MD, Jennifer Trainor, MD, Janice Hanson, MD, Eve Colson, MD and Amal Khidir, MD. Moving Beyond Satisfaction: Developing Meaningful Outcomes. COMSEP, April, 2018.
Craig Derkay, MD presented “A critical review of innovative techniques for adenotonsillectomy in children” at NYU as a visiting Grand Round Professor guest speaker on April 11, 2018
- COSM conference April 18-22, 2018 in National Harbor, Maryland:
Dr. Cristina Baldassari – “Management of Recalcitrant OSA after Adenotonsillectomy” at the Chil-dren’s National Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship Alumni Scientific Roundtable Presentation and presented “Correlation between Pediatric OSA Severity Urinary Cotinine Levels” as well as “Impact of Montelukast on Quality on Life in Mild Pediatric Sleep Apnea” at the ASPO Surgery and Surgeons of the Future program.
Dr. Craig Derkay – “The Benefit of Vaccination on RRP Incidence and Treatment” at the Children’s National Pediatric Otolaryngology Fellowship Alumni Scientific Roundtable Presentation and was part of a panel discussion “R.I.P. RRP: What Lies Ahead for Advanced RRP” at the joint session of the American Laryngological Association and the American Brocho Esophagologic Association.
- Harer MW, Askenazi DJ, Boohaker LJ, Carmody JB, Griffin RL, Guillet R, Selewski DT, Swanson JR, Charlton JR; Neonatal Kidney Collaborative (NKC). Association between early caffeine citrate administration and risk of acute kidney injury in preterm neonates: results from the AWAKEN study. JAMA Pediatrics, 2018 Apr 2: e180322.
- Samantha A. Schrier Vergano, MD, Natural History, Surveillance, and Management Recommendations for Individuals with Coffin-Siris Syndrome from genotype-phenotype analysis of 81 individuals. American College Medical Genetics Annual Meeting , Charlotte, NC. April, 2018.
- Sanaz Devlin, MD, Robyn Bockrath, MD, Jean Petershack, MD, Jennifer Trainor, MD, Janice Hanson, MD, Eve Colson, MD and Amal Khidir, MD. Moving Beyond Satisfaction: Developing Meaningful Outcomes. COMSEP, April, 2018.
- Joel Brenner: Interviewed for USA Today on young athletes and personal trainers.http://usatodayhss.com/2018/why-your-athlete-should-drive-the-personal-trainer-decision
- An Implementation Research Case Study: Innovation in Ambulatory Infection Prevention
Eric Werner, MD, MMM, FAAP, Chief Medical Quality Officer, Children’s Specialty Group, Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters, Inc. Amy Billett, MD, Director of Safety and Quality, Pediatric Hem/Onc, Boston Children’s Hospital, Children’s Hospital Association Quality and Safety meeting in San Diego, March 7, 2018.
- Joel Brenner: Moderator and organizer of Plenary Presentation at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 27th Annual Meeting “Preparticipation Physical Exam”, Orlando, Florida April 26, 2018Moderator and judge of Research Presentations at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine 27th Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida April 26, 2018
- CHKD congratulates Theresa Dr. Guins for her selection to the board of directors for the Society of Pediatric Urgent Care. Dr. Guins has been a part of this organization since its inception in 2015 and is a strong advocate for the society. She will make an outstanding member and advocate for pediatric urgent cares nationwide as this field continues to grow.
- Dr. Kent Reifschneider received the HealthCare Hero award 2018. Selected from approximately 100 health care providers nominated by patient/families and awarded based on specific ac-complishments, the measurable impact on the population served as well as exceptional (his recent publications in Diabetes Care 2017 and Journal of Clinical Medicine 2015 ) and unique efforts made by the provider within the community.
- January 2018 Southern Pediatric Otolaryngology Study Group Meeting (SPOSG) held in Palm Beach, Florida:
-Dr. Cristina Baldassari presented “Point-Counterpoint:Surgical management of tongue tie and lip tie in infants and young children”
-Dr. David Darrow presented “Office Documentation in Pediatric Otolaryngology”
- Pamela Kelman · Chelsea Wright Thompson · Wayne Hynes · Christian Bergman · Cameron Lenahan ·Joel S. Brenner · Michelle G. Brenner · Benjamin Goodman · Demetria Borges · Michael Filak · Holly Gaff; Rickettsia parkeri infections diagnosed by eschar biopsy, Virgin-ia, USA. Infection January 2018: https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-018-1120-x
- Samantha Vergano, MD , co-author , Functional Dysregulation of CDC42 Causes Diverse Developmental Phenotypes. The American Journal of Human Genetics 102, 309-320. February 1, 2018.
- Dr. Tushar Shah – Elected into the Society for Pediatric Research (SPR), Dr. Shah’s election to SPR represents peer recognition of his research achievements in pediatrics.
- Congenital Methemogloginemia Type II in a 5-year-old Boy. Elizabeth A. Mannino, Thomas Pliuim, Jacob Wessler, Megan T. Cho, Jane Juusola and Samantha A. Schrier Vergano. Clinical Case Reports. Doi: 10.1002/ccr3.1310
- Kent Reifschneider, Karen Rubin, and Stuart A. Weinzimer, “Standardizing Clinically Meaningful Outcome Measures Beyond HbA1c for Type 1 Diabetes: A Consensus Statement of the American Association of Clinical En-docrinologists, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, the American Diabetes Association, the Endocrine Society, JDRF International, the Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust, the Pediatric Endocrine Society.
- Hyperammonemia in Neonates: Looking Beyond Sepsis. Samantha A. Schrier Vergano, MD, Cynthia LeMons. MD. Neonatology Today. 2017;12(12) 15-16.
- Dr. Craig Derkay- Moderated the session on “Recurrent Respiratory Papillomatosis: The Changing Landscape for Prevention and Treatment” at the HPV and Head & Neck Forum at the 2017 EUROGIN International Multidisciplinary HPV Congress, October 8-11th in Amsterdam. His talk was entitled “Occupational Exposure to HPV:How Can We Best Protect Ourselves?”